The term Random Act of Kindness (RAoK) is described on Wikipedia as “a nonpremeditated, inconsistent action designed to offer kindness towards the outside world“. Basically, it’s when you do something nice for someone else, or for society in general.
Doing a RAoK is hugely beneficial in many ways. Not only does the act help the party receiving it, but it’s also a great way to make yourself feel good – you’re helping others, you’re connecting with the world, and you’re spreading positive vibes!
Well, that’s all great, but how do we get started? You may be ready and raring to start your RAoK, but you might not know what you can do. Maybe you’re unsure you can do anything that would “really make a difference”. The beauty of RAoK is that even the smallest act can make a massive difference.
Here is a list of just a few things you could do. Some of them are bigger tasks or long-term projects, but some take less than a couple of seconds!
- give a compliment to a stranger
- leave positive notes in random places, such as inside library books
- volunteer at an animal shelter
- offer to run an errand for someone
- donate your hair to The Little Princess Trust
- send someone a text letting them know you’re thinking of them
- pick up some litter
- smile at someone in the street
- befriend an elderly neighbour
- give blood
- sign up to be an organ donor
- donate items to a food bank
- help a friend redecorate
- write a poem for someone
- pay for the coffee of the person behind you in the queue
- adopt a pet
- stop to help someone who looks lost
- volunteer to read with a child
- donate colouring books and crayons to children in hospital
- give someone a hug (ask their permission first!)
- visit a relative you haven’t seen in a while
- sign up to be a listener on 7 Cups of Tea
- donate books or clothes to a charity shop
- bake someone a cake
- help an elderly person on/off the bus (ask their permission first!)
- offer someone your seat on the bus
- put a bird feeder in your garden
- help a young relative with their homework
- post a nice comment on someone’s selfie
- nominate someone for an award/prize
- drop your spare change in a charity bucket
- ask a young relative if you can put one of their drawings on your fridge
- if they’re not too busy, ask your cashier how their day is going
Whether your RAoK is big or small, it’s all about throwing some positive vibes out into the world. You never know how much good you can do, or how much change you can affect, with something as small as a smile.
What do you think about Random Acts of Kindness? Maybe you do some of these already, or you have your own ideas? Let me know in the comments below!